The house is designed in the distinctive Gothic Revival style of architecture.
Also known as “Tangletop”, the house was probably built by James Lennox, who owned property between 1838 and 1848. James Lennox was a wealthy New York City resident who collected rare books and art and founded the Lennox Library, which became one of the libraries that made up the New York Public Library on its founding.
From 1877 until 1911, “Tangletop” was owned by Poughkeepsie resident, Hon., John Thompson and his second wife, Carolyn. Thompson served one term in Congress from 1857-1858. He was a lawyer and possessed rare gifts as a public speaker. He was called on to deliver speeches on many public occasions.