This land was part of the original Rombout Patent of 1685. About 2,300 acres were bought from the heirs of partners of the Patent by Matthew Du Bois in 1730-1732. Two stone houses were initially built. The Manor house was built between 1759-1771. The house is a Georgian style with a brick front and sides. The rear wall is fieldstone.
Matthew Du Bois came to Poughkeepsie from New Paltz where his family had been one of the original Patentees. He was a close friend of Madame Brett. Matthew’s daughter Catarina Du Bois married Robert Brett, the surviving son of Madame Brett.
Matthew dies in 1748. His land was divided among his heirs and creditors.
Lewis Du Bois a great grandson of Matthew Du Bois, bought the property in 1774. Lewis served in the American Revolutionary War. He enlisted as a captain and quickly rose to colonel. Lewis became a brigadier general of the New York militia at the end of the war. Lewis was the first elected Sheriff of Dutchess County post Revolutionary War.
The house was sold to Henry Livingston in 1792 and named “Anne’s Field” in honor o his wife. A year later it was sold to James Greenleaf and was given its present name “Greenvale”.The house is listed on the local, state and national registries.