Exemptions Available

See also NYS Taxation and Finance for more detailed information and forms. www.tax.ny.gov/research/property/

Basic Star - form #RP 425

Must be an owner-occupied resident. There is no age or income requirement. This exemption only applies to school taxes.

Enhanced Star - form #RP 425

Must be owner-occupied resident 65 years of age before December 31 of that year and have an ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME of less than $79,050 (excluding any IRA distributions). COPY OF YOUR MOST CURRENT FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURN IS REQUIRED. MUST BE RENEWED EACH YEAR. This exemption applies to school taxes only.

*Income verification-by NYS Department of Taxation and Finance- Signed Authorization and Social Security number Needed.
*Third Party Notification-Name of party and authorization needed.

Senior Citizens - form #RP 467

Not to be confused with the Enhanced Star exemption The Senior Exemption is for homeowners 65 years of age before December 31 of that year and with a combined yearly GROSS income of $32,400 or less for the Town of Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park school & $37,399 for Arlington, Spackenkill & Wappingers schools.? This must be Renewed Yearly.

Veterans and Cold War - form #RP 458A or 458B

A veteran or un-remarried spouse of a veteran who served in active duty during one of the specified periods of war. Must be owner-occupied resident. There is a veteran's disability exemption as well. Copy of DD214 is needed along with deed to property.

Persons with Disabilities and Limited Income - from #RP 459C

To be eligible, an applicant must currently have a physical or mental impairment, which substantially limits that person's ability to engage in one or more major life activities. Applicant must submit an award letter or certificate indicating disability.? Property must be owner-occupied by the person with disability.? Maximum Gross Income of all owners must be less than $32,400 for Hyde Park and $37,399 for Arlington, Wappingers and Spackenkill. ?Copy of most current federal income tax return is required and annual filing is required.

Exemption forms are available in the Assessor's office or the NYS web site. http://www.tax.ny.gov/research/property under forms and publications